Terrific practices create strong office cultures by committing to a set of common goals like the 10 cultural commitments listed
below. Review these statements, and decide what fundamental values your team believes in. Then meet to discuss these values
and formalize your commitment. Ideally, team members will use these goal statements to guide their interactions with patients,
clients, and each other.
1. Achieve clinical excellence and offer a high-quality, memorable client experience.
2. Provide extraordinary, value-added patient care that supports optimal health and well-being.
3. Support the practice and all its team members so they're productive, well compensated, and prosperous, as is fitting for
those who offer excellent care.
4. Achieve harmonious, empowered relationships based on open and empowering communication, free of gossip and unhealthy attitudes.
5. Support team members in the continual effort to live a life with no regrets.
6. Support team members' commitment to excellence and the fulfillment of the practice mission to offer cutting-edge veterinary
7. Help each team member achieve breakthrough performances and gain a leadership role in some area of the practice.
8. Help team members live empowered, satisfying lives marked by service to others.
9. Create an ideal work environment that attracts, rewards, and maintains a dream team.
10. Support the practice so that it serves as a role model in the community and veterinary profession, inspiring respect, trust,
Display your commitment statements prominently in the practice to give team members a constant reminder of their commitment
to excellence, ethics, and service. Refer to the list in staff meetings or whenever a staff member needs to be reminded of
his or her importance.
Does this seem like a lot of work? Well, it is. But when you commit to working together to create such a culture, communication
improves and relationships work much more smoothly—and your practice will earn distinction as an environment that supports
the finest health care.
Joseph S. Rubino is the CEO of The Center For Personal Reinvention, an organization that offers personal coaching and conducts
courses to enhance personal effectiveness and business productivity.