The dog days of summer are upon us, and your job as an equine veterinarian requires you to be out and about—no matter what the weather is like. So while you're out taking care of horses, be sure you're also taking care of yourself so you stay cool.
Here are some tips:
- Use air conditioning to cool down or go to an air-conditioned building.
- Drink plenty of fluids, but avoid caffeine and sugary drinks.
- Beat the heat at the end of a long day with a cool shower or and bath.
- Take regular breaks from physical activity. Avoid strenuous activity during the hottest part of the day (between 11 a.m. and 4 p.m.).
- Wear loose, lightweight, and light-colored clothing to help keep cool.
- Stay out of the sun as much as possible.
- Wear sunscreen and a ventilated hat (straw or mesh) when you're in the sun, even if it's cloudy.
- Check on your neighbors, family and friends, especially those who are elderly or have special needs.