Microwaved meals could lead to illness

Microwaved meals could lead to illness

Be sure to fully cook your food before eating that frozen meal.
source-image
Nov 04, 2008
By dvm360.com staff
As you head to the break room after a long morning of caring for patients and talking to clients, you may want to think twice before digging into that Salisbury steak. According to the government, improperly microwaving a meal can make you sick.

The government issued the warning last month after a smattering of sicknesses last year—32 people in 12 states were sickened with Salmonella poisoning after failing to thoroughly cook frozen chicken dinners. Microwaves heat food unevenly, which can leave cold spots in food that carry dangerous bacteria like E. coli, Salmonella, or Listeria.

Many people wrongly assume that frozen meals only need to be warmed, not fully cooked. This misconception is fostered partly by frozen foods that appear to be pre-cooked, like breaded or pre-browned chicken. And food packaging doesn’t generally help you spot raw ingredients; it often lists only the instruction to “cook thoroughly” as a clue.

So the next time you have an urge for lunch-in-a-tray—especially if your meal contains raw food—pay attention to your microwave’s technical specifications. The unit’s wattage, or power capability, influences how well it heats food, and most frozen meals list cooking instructions for specific wattages. Also, check the temperature of food with a food thermometer to ensure it’s fully cooked. And keep in mind that experts say cooking raw food is a job best left to stovetops, grills, and ovens.

Hot topics on dvm360

Blog: Election results pose obstacles for veterinary prescription law

Flip in U.S. Senate's majority may slow progress of Fairness to Pet Owners Act.

7 steps to a better relationship between veterinarians and rescue groups

A DVM in the city shares his advice to veterinary practices for working with rescues.

The war between shelters, veterinarians needs to end

Despite practitioners’ legitimate gripes, they’re hurting themselves.

Making it work: Cavanaugh Pet Hospital dedicates itself to a positive, productive shelter relationship

Watch "Moustakas" benefit from Cavanaugh Pet Hospital's partnership with Furry Kids Refuge.

Ebola-exposed dog's first test for the virus is negative

Bentley will continue to be treated with an abundance of caution for the remainder of his quarantine, while his owner has been declared 'virus-free.'