July 15 is National Pet Fire Safety Day

July 15 is National Pet Fire Safety Day

Help clients be aware of four-legged fire-starters.
Jul 15, 2010
By dvm360.com staff

If you've ever used the excuse, "The dog ate my homework," knowing full well that it seemed farfetched, then try this one on for size: "The dog set my house on fire." That's exactly what happened to the Wardlow family of Oklahoma. As described in a recent release from the American Kennel Club, the couple's inquisitive pooch Lucy accidentally turned on a burner while investigating a cake atop the stove. The story ends well for all but the cake, as firefighters—quickly notified by the Wardlows' triggered smoke detectors—saved the dog and the home.

This scenario isn't all that rare, it turns out. With the National Fire Protection Association estimating that nearly 1,000 fires are started by pets annually, AKC has teamed with ADT Security Services to promote the third annual National Pet Fire Safety Day on July 15. Their hope is to raise awareness about potential household fire hazards as they relate to pets.

AKC spokesperson Lisa Peterson says, "Not many pet owners realize that their pet can actually be the cause of a devastating fire." In light of this, the two companies are offering a variety of tips for pet safety and fire prevention that you can pass on to the clients at your veterinary clinic. For example, something as commonplace as a glass water bowl can lead to a flame: if flipped over on a wooden deck by a wayward leash, the empty dish can magnify the sun's rays, starting a fire. The simple solution: choose stainless steel or ceramic water bowls instead.

To keep your pets free from questioning by the fire marshal, brush up on more tips and suggestions by clicking here.